Pages

Monday, February 1

Eggs in Abundance!

Our hens are producing an astonishing 6 eggs a day, well most days really but whatever we have a plentiful supply!I have been finding ways to use the eggs in our meals...here are some from the weekend.





This Lemon Meringue has got to be the best I have ever produced. A basic base of crushed digestive biscuits and melted butter and the filling was as follows:-

1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornflour
1 1/2 cups water
2 lemons, juiced and zested
2 tablespoons butter
4 egg yolks, beaten
4 egg whites
6 tablespoons white sugar

My added ingredient was asachet of lemon & lime (sugarfree) jelly



To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour &cornflour, Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Leave to cool then stir in lime jelly mixture & spoon over biscuit crust.


To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over lemon filling




To the mashed potatoes I added an egg together with the butter.


Normally I use 1 egg in the yorkshire puddings but yesterday I used 2...spot the colour!


Last week we had some bought fishcakes which left a lot to be desired. I decided to make my own with some fish I had in the freezer, just some prawns, pollock and haddock which I steamed and added to some mashed potato & beaten egg. I then rolled in flour, egg & breadcrumbs! Awesome.

The scotch eggs were from my Hairy Bikers Cookbook, certainly not traditional as spices were added. I used minced beef together with a selection of ground cumin, corriander and basic curry powders...again a great recipe from my new book! The eggs were softly boiled and gave a much nicer consistency!


15 comments:

  1. The Scotch eggs look much more appetising than the ones you see on sale. All I do with eggs these days is fry them (using hardly any fat at all).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gerald they indeed are. I think it is a lot to do with the breadcrumbs, I used fresh breadcrumbs not the bright orange ones bought in packets. Also the meat looks like meat and not some sort of processed material! Thanks, if you and Christine are ever this way I will make you some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks delicious and makes my mouth water. Mr Ping will soon be going on a long holiday as I get my new kitchen up and running!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New laid eggs have such a great taste and the yolks are SO YELLOW! My son has a couple of hens so occasionally I get some surplus eggs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall try that lemon pie Denise because it avoids using pastry so is less trouble. You must sing to your hens or something to make them happy - we are only getting one egg a day. I do agree that 2 eggs are good in Yorkshire Puds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kath
    Your new kitchen looks awesome! I have really enjoyed the photos charting the progress! Easy to say really when the hard work of painting has been down to both you and your hubby!

    Akelamula
    Yes, the yokes are SO yellow! Makes inferior ones seem like water! The fresher the egg the more difficult to shell apparantly! I have used a dash of vinegar as well as salt in the water, then left for 30 minutes, then roll, so much easier to shell!

    Weaver,
    They certainly seem so happy, bless, even in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hens are doing well. Are you breeding any chicks to sell this Spring? You have been very busy cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous
    No we are not breeding any chicks as the eggs are not fertile, we have 6 hens and no cockeral.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eggs from your own hens - what a treat. I bet every recipe you use them in tastes better than before. You can't beat homemade food and with homegrown ingredients it's even better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, lemon meringue pie! My mouth was seriously watering as I read this description! About the boat, I left a reply for you on my comments. Guess I should have come here first.

    ReplyDelete
  11. CherryPie, me too!

    Heather
    Definately! The yorkshire puddings were just awesome, not good for the wasteline!

    Chris
    Read the comment, interesting about the bottom of the boats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love you Mrs Nesbitt. Please blog again soon, i am waiting in anticipation.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.