Tuesday, February 18

F is for ......Filipino pork abobo and a new favourite soup.


Another new recipe from my stash of recipe books. I have never made a pork curry before but it was very tasty.

SERVES 4 – READY IN 1 HOUR  20 MINS

Low calorie cooking spray
6 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
1 red chilli, peeled and thinly sliced
2cm piece root ginger, peeled and finely grated
1 tbsp finely chopped lemon grass ( I used dried with a coconut blend)
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely grated (I used asda frozen)
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
100ml dark soy sauce
50ml white wine vinegar
4 tbsp tomato purée
4 bay leaves
700ml chicken stock
16 baby new potatoes (I missed these out and served with rice)
2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
600g lean pork fillets, all visible fat removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped fresh coriander, to garnish

1 Spray a wok or large frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium-high heat. Add the shallots, red chilli, ginger, lemon grass, garlic, ground cumin and turmeric and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until soft and fragrant.
2 Stir in the remaining ingredients and season well. Bring to the boil, cover tightly and reduce the heat to low.
3 Simmer gently for 45 minutes until the pork is tender. Ladle into bowls and garnish with the coriander to serve.


Last week at Slimmingworld one member brought us a new soup recipe she had tried - it was absolutely lush. Note of caution - garlic! Remember you can always ADD not TAKE AWAY. My attempt was indeed too much garlic - would use half this quantity next time - even less.


Lentil Broth

300g red lentils
2 onions
3 carrots
4 celery sticks
1 garlic
1 bayleagf
3 parsley sprigs (I used dried)
1.5 litres veg stock
Salt & pepper
1 fromage frais (I didn't use this)
Chopped parsley & paprika to garnish (I didn't use this)
 

Wash lentils soak for 30 mins
Spray pan & heat onions,carrots & celery.
Drain lentils and add to pan with parsley & stock
Bring to boil and simmer for 30 mins, removing any scum.
Remove bayleaf.
Transfer to blender & blitz.
Put back into pan and reheat.
Stir in fromage frais and parsley & paprika to serve.

For more ABC fun follow the link in my sidebar.
Next week - G! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

11 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous!
    Have a great day.
    Wil, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, i'm a filipino and i'm glad you like adobo. there's a million ways to make this and mine is different from yours, but i'll keep this in mind.

    frankly my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pork dish. I bet the potatoes tasted fabulous simmered in the sauce but I love rice so much that I would serve like you did.
    The lentils soup sounded great till the " remove any scum" hahahhahaha
    I am loving your ABC posts !
    Hope the chickens are doing OK in all your bad weather.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummmm, this sounds delish but perhaps a bit too spicy for me.
    Love pork dishes and may have to tinker with this recipe a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oohhh... Lentils and garlic, what a perfect mix. I bet it is delicious! The pork curry seems exotic to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your recipes Ms. Nesbitt!!!
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like it would be a filling fare!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love adobo! Glad you like this famous Filipino food. I make mine by sauteing only garlic, onions and pork, then I add in vinegar and soy sauce and a little bit of salt and boil until sauce is thick and pork is cooked. Hope you try my version, :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll stick to the lentil soup (being practically veggie!)
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.

There was an error in this gadget