Pages

Tuesday, February 9

E is for ........enterprising.





The next room on our "to do" list is the third bedroom, the one Jon uses for his office and the one with access to the loft. Jon more or less leaves colours up to me and I know we have a decent quantity of both grey and white emulsion to hand so no prizes for guessing my thoughts.

I don't buy "Housy" magazines anymore - whilst they were often a source of inspiration and encouraged me to tidy up, inevitably I flicked through them once and found many the same. As we have worked our way through the house more often than not we will visit a showhouse for inspiration and to see what the  current trends are. Last weekend we did just that.

In one showhouse I spotted a desk. As I have been sorting out my various crafty stuff and the piles of paper etc for my card making I have used the big cupboard in the porch to store things away, ever realising the potential the room had to be mult-functional. Yes a porch is great but as we have such a lovely open view of the garden I felt it was a shame not to work in the porch, but not to have everything everywhere, so the desk gave me an idea.




To look at it (yes I bought one on-line) it's not imposing but it's the perfect size for my laptop/sewing machine. When I am working (as I was yesterday) the stool next to the desk is ideal for my printer - as the big cupboard is right next to the desk stuff can be put away when I have finished and the tesk doubles up as a console table.



The view from the desk is inspiring too - yesterday Puss was in her favourite spot for an afternoon nap!








I brought down a wicker chair which is comfortable when working at the desk - when not in use with the desk I just move it against the back wall.



Above the chair I have used picnic baskets for further storage. I am so pleased with these - only costing £5 each from  the charity shops - so much nicer than plastic containers.

Jon is busy at work so I am not sure when we will make a start on his room but in the meantime I am happy to have a place to potter in and keep warm

ABC Wednesday - E for enterprising!

19 comments:

  1. You've done a brilliant job! The grey works so well. A whole new room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to make use of the room as more than a porch, especially with that view. You've organised the cupboard really well to facilitate it. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely spot and, as you say, has an excellent view onto the garden.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job, well done.... as long your heart feels at home... its okay, no matter what anyone else might think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have created a perfect space to do your crafts and look out that fantastic window.
    Your "redo's" are as good . if not better than any House magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to be able to see the outdoors as you work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything seems to be coming along so well Denise. Love the simplicity of that desk - and presumably that dog looking out of the window is not a real one???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful use of your porch as a multitasking space, very clean and crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made beautiful use of your porch for multitasking, very clean and crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've left me wondering why you need a motorcycle helmet while typing your blog posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found "housey" magazines overwhelming.


    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is inspiring! Quite a transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the idea of working on the porch. I have a nice veranda at my place, after reading this I am thinking I should make better use of that space for reading and writing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant, you've made this space in to a workable room, so much more than a porch. What a lovely view you have whilst sitting at your desk too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have made yourself " A Room with a View" ! And that is wonderful when you are doing creative work. It's inspiring too. Have a great week.
    Wil,ABCWTeam

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are making the whole place beautiful... just like a posh magazine!
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. All I can say is Denise .... 'You are a genius.... so inventive to make a porch into such a useful, lovely working area
    overlooking the garden xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those magazines just become clutter anyway. I love your new inspiring place to create.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.